June 19, 2017, posted by Gina – We’ve all been taught how to write thank you notes, but do we still do it in the age of texts and emails? Our mother was very strict about writing thank you notes and writing them very promptly. We always had stationery on hand and knew we were expected to write a thank you note for a gift or a nice gesture from someone. Mama GDFC was so emphatic about writing thank you notes that as gifts arrived for my wedding, I was expected to open them and write a thank you at that very moment. At one point, when the wedding was only a week away, about 10 gifts arrived at our home in one day. I opened them and was a bit overwhelmed at writing all 10 thank you notes right then and there. Mama GDFC gave me a stern lecture on being grateful and so the thank you notes were written and mailed.
Today, many people think it is fine to shoot a text or email which is practical and immediate. While any expression of thanks is nice, a handwritten note is much more personal and meaningful. Here are a few good reasons to take the time to write a nice thank you note.
8 REASONS TO HANDWRITE A THANK YOU NOTE
1. It’s just plain exciting for people to open their mailbox and see a hand addressed piece of mail that they instantly know is not a bill, a sales piece or other routine mailings. They know that it is something special.
2. A personal note of thanks makes a connection that no other form of communication can achieve. Your warmth, appreciation and emotion shine through and truly make the addressee feel special, even if for a moment.
3. It shows you are sincerely thankful. You are sharing your inner most thoughts on paper that can be read and re-read.
4. If the person sent a gift by mail or made arrangements in a store for delivery, it lets them know that you received the gift.
5. It makes an impression on the receiver that will not be quickly forgotten.
6. Gratitude has a positive effect on your mood long after the note is written or received. It is said that the more we express gratitude, the more grateful we become.
7. You can use beautiful stationery. There are so many wonderful preprinted and personalized cards; the selection is endless.
8. It’s just the nice thing to do.
Go ahead, order some beautiful stationery and get some wonderful stamps. A pretty stamp helps make it even more special. Find a pen that you love and put all of these things together so it is fun to jot down a few lines and send a bit of joy to someone!
A few helpful tips.
We love to order personalized stationery from our friend Eleanor at www.pinkpeppermintpaper.com. She is wonderful to work with and has some fun designs.
These Oscar de la Renta stamps have us over the moon. Fashion and flowers all in one! They are just so pretty.
Do you love writing thank you notes or do you think it is a chore? Let us know by leaving us a comment. We love hearing from you!